Silence Broken

I swore never to be silent whenever human beings endure suffering and humiliation. We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. - Elie Wiesel

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Illegal philanthropy?

An open letter to a journalist

Hi, ****

I’ve been searching for some answers regarding why it’s apparently illegal for philanthropists to make donations to individuals; that they can only donate through organisations. I just read your article from *****.....

I wanted to be a philanthropist some years ago when I had a business. I intended to donate such things as communication boards, electric wheelchairs and wheelchair accessible vehicles to individuals I had heard about after personally meeting locals in the Northern Territory in order to get the ‘full’ story before donating. Being a full time carer of a cerebral palsy quadriplegic, Rob, since 1994 down to today (part time this pass year) I was painfully aware of how difficult it is for adults and their carers to obtain essentials; it’s hard enough for children.

When I first cared for Rob we were left catching taxis draining us of all our pension money. I approached the government requesting a loan repaid by deducting fortnightly a percentage of our pension over a period of ten years. This was turned down as they didn’t want us in perpetual debt. They didn’t mind us spending all our pension on taxis after food, rent and other bills leaving us dependent on others’ time schedules but not in debt for ten years and independent. We were told to approach charitable organisations for a vehicle. No one could help as Rob was an adult or they didn’t have the money. We had no children, did not smoke, drink, gamble and lived a very simple life so could have easily afforded to pay the Australian taxpayer back over a period of ten years. I make vehicles last for at least 10 years.

My present vehicle is a 1984 Toyota Hi Ace high roof Commuter now on its last legs bought secondhand paying back the $8000 to a friend some 7 years ago after a Toyota company in Sydney - who was willing to help provide us with a good second hand van at $22,000 (and were going to freight it to us free) - found out it was illegal to finance us as we were pensioners!! I had just started a business then with the intention of raising money to buy essential and safe equipment for Rob that the government both Fed and Local refused to assist with.

Two Darwin based philanthropists wanted to help but said they were not permitted to help with anything over $5000. Could this be part reason for many wealthy individuals reluctance to give gifts or money? When I had my philanthropy dreams I decided I would not give money to an organisation (This was before I knew it would be illegal to help an individual) as I wanted to choose who my money went to having seen some ‘helped’ through these organisations who could have helped themselves or money partly taken for running costs and so forth or a child placed over that of an adult. Children and their families should not be begging for help. Governments exploit enough tax from people and save billions annually by exploitation of carers but do not provide adequately for Australia’s disabled children. They deliberately choose to burden cash strapped organisations and families with the responsibility.

Today I am disabled through medical negligence and not entitled to a cent in compensation. I lost my business and as a result Rob has been placed in inappropriate care and given a dangerous electric wheelchair and the relevant government department's dragging its feet – as usual - over the situation. No hope of replacing our ’84 vehicle and those who want to help have their hands tied. Perhaps again, this is one reason for the stinginess of some wealthy Australians; philanthropist legally prevented from helping many they may wish to help.

Every time I see or hear the word philanthropist I think of what could have been.

Sincerely,

Sam Davies
http://www.sam-davies.blogspot.com/
0413 305 393

Anyone who knows Dick Smith pass this on to him. Perhaps he knows the answer to my question. Or any philanthropist, politician, Joe Blow etc...

NEXT ARTICLE: Medical Power of Attorney is INVALID in the Northern Territory of Australia.

I swore never to be silent whenever human beings endure suffering and humiliation. We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. - Elie Wiesel

No comments:

Post a Comment